Friday, January 7, 2011

DAY BY DAY

This seems an appropriate hymn to think ponder early in a new year. It was written by a young Swedish woman, along with many others.
She learned early in life to live with the consciousness of the Lord’s presence all the time.

At the age of 26 Lina experienced an event that influenced her all the rest of her life. She and her father took a ship going to the city of Gothenburg, Sweden across Lake Vattern. The ship lurched, and her father, A devout Lutheran minister, fell overboard and drowned before the eyes of his adoring daughter. Prior to this event Lina had written some 650 hymns, many that influenced the revival that swept the Scandinavian countries during the latter half od the 19th century. After the tragic death of her father, poetic thoughts, expressing a tender, childlike faith and trust flowed freely from her broken heart. So tender and touching were her many beautiful hymns expressing her love for her Lord, she became known as the “Fanny Crosby of Sweden.” Ponder these beautiful words:

Day by day and with each passing moment, strength I find to meet my trials here; trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,  I’ve no cause for worry or for fear. He whose heart is kind beyond all measure gives unto each day what He deems best…lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure, mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day the Lord Himself is near me with a special mercy for each hour; All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me, he whose name is Counsellor and Power. The protection of His child and treasure is a charge that on Himself He laid: “As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,” this the pledge to me He made.

For some reason, the words of this hymn really speak to me. I am very fond of hymns but this one seems special. I think Lina’s “trust” level climbed and climbed through out her life, until she so “leaned into” her Lord for everything, she just rested in His goodness and love for her. I relate to that and aspire to the same kind of love for Him. I know it only comes with time and trial, I know that because I have lived through both and learned much, both about myself and about my Master. The words of this precious hymn say it well and will always be very special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment