Tuesday, February 5, 2013

KNOWING GOD, CON’T

Now that I am fairly settled in my new home It’s time to get back to my blog. Forgive me friends for being away so long, but I’m finding EVERYTHING takes me longer to do than it use to…such is life, am just glad I will be celebrating my 75th years in a couple of days and I’m still ambulatory, lol!

I picked up the book again yesterday, read through my recent blogs and found some interesting new things in the next section, so here goes…

Dr Packer makes a very valid point concerning knowing God and Godliness, and knowing about God. I think we all as believers understand there is a difference and may even think we know what it is, including me…however, there is more to it than what is on the surface. This is what I discovered, for me if for no one else. He goes back to a portion of Scripture in Daniel, 11:32, “they that know their God shall be strong and do exploits” and rendered this way in the RSV, “the people who know their God will stand firm and take action.” The context is this…contrasted to the vile person, whose action is abominable, and who corrupts by smooth and flattering talk the conduct of those who have no viable relation-ship to God. This contrast speaks very loudly to the fact that action taken by those who do know their God is really their reaction to the ungodly trends they see going on around them. While their God is being defied and disregarded, they cannot rest; they feel they must DO something! The dishonor done to God goads them to action.

To really get the flavor, you should sit down and re-read the book of Daniel, it’s not very long, but note the places where Daniel will not bow to the worldly things that were going on around him and in some cases, being required of him…he stood against them. These were his “exploits” and his statement for Godliness in his day and in his own personal life. He and his three friends stood against the corruption of Darius’ kingdom. And two additional kings after Darius’ death. Daniel KNEW his God and lived what he knew to be true. He was willing to pay the price, did pay it and was rescued, very obviously rescued, by God Himself! Does all of this sound familiar????? It should, it is very similar to the day we are living in! Daniel stood for his God, was well known for that also and in some cases it was used against him. He lived a very long life and served many kings of differing kingdoms because he was so wise and trustworthy. Next time we will talk more about this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment