Thursday, March 4, 2010

BEING ALONE WITH GOD…

Thinking about the “old timers” of the faith,the Matthew Henry’s , Adam Clark, Dr Barnes of Barnes Notes fame…all record in their journals that they started their day in their study, alone with God at 4 or 5am??????  There are others from that time period that say the same thing, they began their day early, one-on-one with the Lord. I must confess, I am not in that circle…I spend quality and quantity time with the Lord, but not at 4 am. I think the object is the “alone” thing…it is very difficult today to be alone, even people like me that live alone, with TV, stereo, radio, computer, etc I am rarely alone and totally quiet in my home. I recognize I make the choice about the quiet, so I will make no judgment since I am guilty as much as the next guy.

The Holy Spirit is one of the most precious and special gifts god has given to us. He takes up residence within us the moment we come to Christ in repentance and are born again. This is what Jesus meant when He told the disciples, “I will ask the Father and He will give you another Comforter, that He may remain with you forever>” In the Amplified the adjectives used after comforter are, counselor, helper, intercessor, advocate, strengthener and standby. Quite a list, right? The Holy Spirit becomes our every thing, connecting us to god and urging us to do the things we should, and not do the things we shouldn’t. One of HIs biggest jobs is to urge us to spend time with the Lord…He is also very good at convicting us of “wrongs.” Sometimes too good, lol.

I have always had difficulty thinking of God in less than three persons. I don’t really understand the concept of three/one. But…it doesn’t matter that I don’t understand, it is still a fact. I trust God enough to wait to understand but still believe Him. An old Sunday School song said, “God said it, I believe it, that settles it for me…” understanding is not essential, believing and obeying are. In fact, it is impossible to obey without Him, it’s just not in us. God,the Creator shared with us everything we need to know in His Word. If we don’t understand, later on we might…but we need to accept the fact that we don’t NEED to know it all. Jesus said to His disciples, “I have still many things to say to you, but you are not able to understand them now,” John 16:12.

Nevertheless, we are urged to spend quality time alone with God. As I have aged in the Lord, I have found I honestly and truly cannot get along without that time…it has become so much a part of who I am and how I function that I cannot really “get myself together”…when I have not been with the Lord. And…living alone, I have found myself taking with Him, even laughing with Him and singing to Him…I guess He has become my Treasured Life Companion. And…I wouldn’t have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment