Monday, March 8, 2010

SAVING ME FROM ME…

“Wholly committed, fully dedicated…” I read in a devotional book, along with the translation from the Old Testament, telling us that commitment and living up to it gives us a heart of peace. I like that, Peace and/or contentment mean everything to me. I have learned over the years that I can do without a lot of “stuff” but not my sense of contentment. I dearly love the “feeling” (I dislike using that word) of contentment, kind of like the warm fuzzies. That feeling tells me all is well, I am in sync with my Father and I can enjoy the settledness. As I understand it, peace is a result, not a cause. It means the war has stopped, I am no longer trying to run my life but have let go of it after giving it to the Lord. He does such a superior job of running me, I cannot tell you why I even bother to try and run it myself. I think it is mainly a matter of breaking an old habit. We do so many things because it’s how we’ve always done it…we don’t think. If we grow up as unbelievers, we have taken a lot of garbage into our thinking processes. The current generation has it even rougher…they are actually being taught to stand up for themselves, be proud, do your own thing, think for yourself, etc., etc. All of these concepts go directly against Scripture and the character of God. I am not young, have lived a diverse life and had many, many experiences…good and bad. But nothing has compared to the sense of contentment I have had when I am totally in sync with my Father and following His leading. I guess a lot has to do with trust. Charles Stanley once said, you will not obey one you do not trust…my experience has taught me that trust takes time and probably experience. I have been a Christian for 36 years, in so-called full time ministry for 29. I could relate dozens of times when God has been actively teaching me about Himself. Out of those times, I have learned to trust Him and obedience has come easier and easier. Then, I realized that sense of contentment…and it was/is wonderful. I believe Jesus has total possession of me, and I am very glad about that. When you exhibit singleness of heart, you become part of the answer to the world’s problems, because the grace and mercy of the Lord flow through you. Colossians 1:9 tells us that we can “see things from God’s point of view…” that is an awesome thought…elsewhere we are told we can have the mind and attitude of Christ. Another verse tells us to let the attitude of Christ be in us. I don’t know about you but to me, those are awesome promises and what God promises, He delivers. He cannot deny Himself. We are His sons and daughters, He wants the best for us and He will allow things in our lives to get us to the place of full blessing and walking with Him. He is so very awesome, and yet so very personal, doing in our lives those “little things”…the things that tell us clearly that He loves us very much. He proves it. Not because He must but because He wants to! How can you not trust a Father such as this??????  We are told to “be still, and know that I am God…”  We could easily think to ourselves, “be still and know I am your Daddy…” Wonderful idea, try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment